Tried and True
I'd say that 75% of my customers come to me wanting simple, classic, elegant wedding cakes. As much as I love coming up with new cake designs, many of my brides fall in love with designs that I've already done before. Last weekend my 3 wedding cakes were replicas of some of my most popular (and repeated) designs. Each of these cakes has stood the test of time.
Aubergine is very "in" these days. This cake, with a fondant "band" wrapped around the base of each tier and fresh orchids cascading, was the perfect centerpiece at the Duke Mansion outdoor reception.
My last aubergine offset square 4 tiered cake was created almost exactly a year ago, but adorned with handmade gumpaste fowers instead.
Two of my very first wedding cake designs are ones that I've been repeating for the last 7 years. Multi-layered rafia wrapped around tiers iced in "texturized" buttercream is always popular in rustic settings. Last weekend Brian delivered this cake to the Field Trial Barn in Fort Mill.
It's quite possible that I've made the rafia cake over ten times, but I still love it. This cake below was my 2nd wedding cake, made in 2005 for our friends, JQ and Laura.
My 3rd cake of the weekend went to Van Landingham Estate -- space in between the tiers is filled with hydrangeas, creating a tall tower of simple elegance...
...which reminds me of my very first wedding cake. It was just a few months before I completed my studies at Johnson and Wales when Brian's cousin, Melissa, asked me to make her wedding cake to serve at least 250 guests. I was thrilled to take on the challenge and I do believe that this opportunity catapulted me into the wedding cake biz. A couple months after my first wedding cake success, I decided to officially start For Goodness Cakes!
Aubergine is very "in" these days. This cake, with a fondant "band" wrapped around the base of each tier and fresh orchids cascading, was the perfect centerpiece at the Duke Mansion outdoor reception.
My last aubergine offset square 4 tiered cake was created almost exactly a year ago, but adorned with handmade gumpaste fowers instead.
My 3rd cake of the weekend went to Van Landingham Estate -- space in between the tiers is filled with hydrangeas, creating a tall tower of simple elegance...This was just the first of many wedding cakes created in my parent's kitchen. During my first 2 years in business I came home in the evenings (while working 50+ hour weeks at a bakery in Denver, NC) to bake, ice and decorate cakes on my parent's kitchen table into the wee hours of the night.
It's always been a family affair! I definitely would not be where I am today without all of the help from family (especially Mom!).And can't forget mother-in-law, Elise, always ready to give a helping hand!
September 2004...this is how it all started.
Comments
Post a Comment