An Early Christmas
I was hoping our special Christmas gift from above would be here a little earlier, but I am so excited to know that we will finally meet our precious new baby this weekend! I never in my wildest dreams thought that the baby would take this long to arrive, but here I am, still pregnant at 41 weeks, anxiously waiting to meet this little person inside me!
About a week ago I had a feeling that the baby was settling in for a long winter's nap...somehow my expectations quickly reversed and I just had a hunch that the baby was not going to come out on it's own. Afterall, Isabelle has shown her personality to be just like mine in all ways...I'm a "get 'er done" kind of person. I have an idea in my head and I usually want it to happen...yesterday. Isabelle came conveniently at 1 week before my due date, just about like I did for my mom. So this baby must be like his/her father....Brian takes his time in all things he does (from eating a meal to professing his love to his girlfriend (later wife)) And he doesn't like to be forced into doing things too quickly (hence the whole breech episode). Another example: I bought a double stroller several months ago (get 'er done!) and now Brian just started working on a storage place for the stroller under our deck (the week after our due date). Luckily our personalities compliment each other nicely:)
Brian arrived 3 weeks late for his poor mother, so why should I be surprised that this second child of ours would be just like my mini-me, Isabelle? The not knowing when (as late as 2 weeks after due date was what one doctor said...yikes!) was starting to kill me and after a visit with my doctor we decided that with the possibility of a slightly earlier due date, it was a good idea to plan an induction for this Saturday the 15th. I immediately felt relief. I started sleeping well at night and even as I wondered what was keeping this little one from wanting to come out into the world, I felt great about our decision. There is an end in sight! Actually, I should say, a beginning!
It has been a long few weeks and I've had more free time than I remember having in quite a while. But, I have filled the time with lots of fun Christmas activities with Isabelle, just soaking up every minute with my only child.
As excited as I was to close up the bakement, I never could really close it up for good. Tis the season of baking, afterall, and I was eager for Isabelle to take part in some gingerbread cookie making. It was quite a treat for me to have time to bake something other than yule logs this year!
Isabelle LOVES to help me bake and we had a ball cutting out cookies...and later eating them, of course!
On our due date last weekend, we spent the day celebrating the season with the Barksdale crew.
Sharing Santa's lap with Betsy Grace was a highlight.
Special balloons for the girls...Isabelle lucked out with a rudolph balloon, still sitting on our mantle!
Pony rides!
Ellie, Brun, and crazy tall elf!
Since the gingerbread man cookies went over so well, we decided to bake some more with cousins, Betsy Grace and Sutton.
What cute little bakers!
Tasting is the best part, of course...
I came into the nursery to see Isabelle "reading a book to baby". Heart melts!!!
For the past few weeks we have been drilling it in her brain that the baby is coming ("any day now!"), so she is obviously getting more aware of what's to come. I have total confidence that she will be the sweetest big sister. Just today, as I was putting her down for her nap, she stuck her paci in my belly button and said she was giving the baby a paci. She frequently hugs, pats and kisses the belly. I am so excited to see her with the baby...I know there are so many heart melting moments to come!Poor Izzy came down with a nasty cold a few days ago, so unfortunately we've spent our days indoors, missed a few holiday parties, but have managed to fill time with our own Christmas fun. Rudolph and Frosty have gotten us through some fussy moments, and there's been lots of snuggling, soothing and plain old spoiling.
We dressed like we were going somewhere fun, even though we were housebound.
We pulled out the cardboard castle that I saved for a rainy day.
Isabelle enjoyed lots of Daddy time while I finished up the last of my Christmas shopping.
Art projects with Daddy are the best!
And a stool also makes a great foot rest for reading quietly in her rocking chair. (LOVE)
I began writing this post yesterday, with a heart solely full of love, happiness and excitement for what is to come. I know the euphoria that we are about to experience and the love that is about to overflow our lives.
Today (Friday) I still feel those things, but I must admit that my emotions are somewhat overshadowed at the moment by the terrible tragedy that we all learned of today. Brian and I held each other tearfully as we learned about the loss of so many innocent young lives at the elementary school shooting, and as we pray for the safe delivery and good health of our unborn child, we also pray for the families who have been affected by this horrific event.
Comments
Post a Comment