Me and My Business: FAQs

I get asked a lot of questions about my cake business all the time.  It's neat that people find my job fascinating and sometimes I know I take for granted that I do have a "cool job." 

Here are some very long answers to some short questions. 

Q: How did you get into this business?

A:  The short answer is that I like art and baking.  I combined the two, and voila, cakes!
The long answer...
Growing up, I never would have dreamed I'd be making cakes for a living. I'm not sure I was ever presented with a store-bought cake at all during my upbringing, so making cakes was never a career that crossed my mind.  (My mom would deny it, but she's a great baker and always made us delicious cakes for family birthdays).  

I was always artistic and loved crafts, and using my hands.  I also had a keen interest (some might call it an obsession) in food, especially baked goods.  I'll never forget when a tiny bakery called Just Fresh (now franchised) opened up down the street from my home when I was in high school.  My boyfriend knew the way to my heart, so for our 1 year anniversary he gave me a gift certificate to the bakery!  Being in the presence of freshly baked breads, muffins and cookies just made me happy.

When I went to UNC-Chapel Hill for undergrad, I thought about studying art since that's one of the few things I felt confident that I was good at.  But the class was intimidating to me; I didn't feel like I fit in and had doubts that I was talented enough to ever succeed as an artist.  I also started to realize that there was a reason for the phrase, "starving artist."  I wanted to make a living.  I like to eat.  

I ended up studying psychology and thought about being a counselor of some sort.  A few years after I graduated, I heard about a friend of a friend who was going to culinary school to study pastry arts because she wanted to make cakes for a living.  This was before cakes were big, before Ace of Cakes and way before Cake Boss.  I actually remember the very moment - on a hike in the Tetons, in Jackson Hole.  Aha!  That could be my dream job!  

I've learned about cakes through people I worked for, culinary school and lots of trial and error.  I learn new stuff every day.  Read more about my path to For Goodness Cakes on my business website.  

Here I am, working on cakes in my parent's kitchen.  Typical Friday night in 2004-2006.

Working on my first wedding cake - September 2004.

 Do you eat your own cake?  How do you not eat cake all the time?
  
My cakes are really tasty, so it's hard not to eat a little when it's just laying in front of me.  Since I cut away pounds of cake scraps every week, I have a few bites here and there (quality control!), but I don't shove piles of it into my mouth like I would have with full access to this kind of goodness 15 years ago. But I'm around cake so much that I do get sick of it; I rarely cut into a cake and serve myself a big ole' slice.  I'm more of an ice cream fan.

I am flattered that people are surprised that I'm not heavy person...I'm not going to lie, it's quite an ego boost when you meet new people, tell them what you do for a living and they say, "But you're so skinny!?"  If I was a personal trainer, you'd probably be worried, so it's all relative.  The best (and sometimes worst) part about my job is that it keeps me active and on my feet.  I do spend many, many hours sitting down, icing and decorating (or on the computer, believe it or not).  But I am often lifting heavy things, running up and down stairs, and on the move.  Not to mention keeping up with two little ones - I live a very busy life and feel lucky when I sit down for a meal.  That keeps me pretty lean (I think stress might have a little something to do with it too!).

One of my weekly workouts: picking up ingredients at Sam's Club with little Isabelle.

How do you transport your cakes?

It's actually not quite as tricky as you might imagine, but it takes a lot of nerve.  I do assemble most tiered cakes before delivery.  I put them in the back of my gigantic minivan and drive to my destination VERY CAREFULLY.   The keys to success are keeping cakes cold and refrigerated as long as possible up until delivery, keeping the temp low in the car, taking turns slowly, having a "cake in transit" sign on the back of my car (although not proven to be helpful), and most important is properly assembling tiered cakes with the right structure and internal support system.  This is why I spend many hours making sure tiers are level, sturdy cake dowels are correctly placed, and cakes are snug on their stands, and snug on the floor of my trunk (lots of tape and nonslip mats).  Oh, and say some prayers that all crazy people, texting teenagers, distracted moms and aggressive drivers stay far away.

Wedding cake delivery days are full of adrenaline, stress and anxiety.  Saturday night is the rare night that I do not go downstairs to work (sad, I know), I can let it all go, and I feel 100% relaxed.  I've gotten a little numb to the stress over the years, but every so often I have that moment during a delivery when my body is overcome with needle sharp tingles brought on by fear, adrenaline, and stress.  Which brings me to my next frequently asked question:


Have you ever had a cake accident?

Luckily not a major one.  But yes, I had a cake fall over in the back of my car when I took a left turn (you know that crazy left turn from Randolph onto Laurel Avenue heading towards town?!).  That thump was the worst sound I'd ever heard.  It was a huge wake up call, but luckily it wasn't as bad as it could have been since the cake stayed intact and had only minor damages to the design.  I was about 8 months pregnant and I managed to hold back my tears and remain relatively calm through it all.  In the  2 hours before the reception, I re-iced one side of the cake, used a foam cake dummy to replace the top tier, and actually overcame a cake-tastrophe!  The bride didn't have a clue until I told her that I needed to supply her with a new anniversary tier.
The final result!
I've had some close calls and some very stressful situations, but that was my one horror story.  And it all ended ok!  What will I do if something much worse happens?  
Leave town.  (At least that's the advice that my mentor used to say!)  I kid, I kid.  I do have a secret back-up plan for tragic cake events.  Let's hope it stays a secret!

Is this your full-time occupation?

Yes.  Although I rarely tally my hours, I probably average at least 40 hours a week, which varies week to week and season to season.  The one chunk of time I did keep track of my hours, it was horrifying to actually learn what was my hourly wage (meaning that I was working a LOT of hours, close to 60 a week...before babies).

My busiest months with wedding cakes are April, May, June September and October.  During those months I often work 50-60 hour weeks.  But I can usually manage to keep myself busy every month.  The wonderful thing about my business is that I can choose to take a week off here or there, and then make up for it later by cramming in lots of work another week.  However, over the years I have learned that only way to take any time off is to leave town.  Since my "office" is in my home, I can always find work to do.  I could easily fill every day of the week with at least 8 hours of work.  Simply sitting at the computer to check my email usually turns into a couple hours of corresponding with customers and researching cake designs.  


Do you have any help?

Yes, I have a wonderful assistant, Jen, who helps me with baking one day a week, and sometimes with deliveries.  She's been with me for almost five years and the 5 or so hours she spends baking with me once a week are so crucial, especially on those baking days when both kids are at home!  She also has her own small side cake business (13tiers) and is in school studying graphic design, so she is a busy gal.

Unfortunately I am the type of person who wants a hand in everything, so I do not have as much help as I'd like (or need!).  I'm a total perfectionist.  I'm a stickler for detail.  Basically, I'm a control freak.  Sometimes it's just easier (and more satisfying) to do it all yourself!  

I do all of cake filling, icing, decorating, design, assembly, accounting, correspondence, cleaning and I take part in most of the deliveries.  BUT, this cake business is a family affair and there is no way in the world that I could do it all by myself. 

For example:
Ususally my mom keeps the kids a 2-3 weekdays to get them out of the house so I can concentrate without cute little voices and interruptions.  She's also on deck for weekend childcare during deliveries, cake tastings, and occasionally assists me with deliveries.  My husband entertains the kids a lot while I work, and tries to keep them quiet during tastings (naptime is crucial).  He also runs lots of errands for me, including trips to the store for ingredients, and groom's cake deliveries.  He fixes things, washes dishes and cleans occasionally, he offers advice on sporty-manly cakes, and he's my go-to wedding cake delivery assistant (best known for his strength and calm demeanor during stressful situations).  He's also who I lean on and vent to when I am totally and utterly stressed out by the crazy things that cakes do.   My dad has done some solo babysitting and he's great for carrying an umbrella.  My in-laws often keep the kids on Saturdays and sometimes help with deliveries.  I've pulled in a brother and sister-in-law or 2 for help in the past as well.  This is a family business and a team effort.  I really could not do this without my family!!!

My father-in-law and husband carrying a groom's cake for me when I was very pregnant!

Are you making more than just wedding cakes now?

Yes!  I know, I know, it's been very confusing.  My life's been confusing!  About a year and a half ago, I declared to the world that I was going to take only very large cake orders ($800 minimum) after the birth of my second child.  The more orders I take, the more stress that I have, so I was hoping to simplify my life.  I would much rather stress over 30 wedding cakes a year than 300 small cakes in that same time frame (while making just as much money!).  And quite honestly, I was ready to scale the business down and devote more time to my children.  At the time I had no idea what life would be life with 2 kids, and I really didn't know how I could possibly work as much out of my home and juggle it all.

I'm sorry to my wonderful, loyal customers who I told I would no longer be able to make their children's birthday cakes in the next few years.  The reason I proclaimed it so loudly was because I really love making all types of cakes for customers and friends (many customers who have become friends).  I hated turning down orders and telling people "no," so I always ended up making myself crazy busy every single week because I thought everyone deserved a beautiful, delicious cake!  Refocusing my business to fewer, larger orders was the best way to make my time more efficient.

But now I am back to doing all types of cakes (only cake, and cupcakes too), although I am still focusing mostly on large orders so I book up quickly during the busy wedding season.  Since my husband is currently unemployed and at home, he has been able to take care of the kids and For Goodness Cakes has had to step it up a notch to support the family.   It's not the perfect scenario in my little mind, but I keep reminding myself how lucky we are that my business has thrived and that I do have a successful career.  Not everyone can find a career as fitting and comfortable to them as mine is to me.  It's not easy not knowing what my income will be month to month, paying for insurance out of pocket, and feeling the pressure to take more orders than I think I can handle.  But I really do have a cool job, and despite the stress, it has given me so much excitement, happiness, and pride.

When do you bake your cakes?

I really just want to say, what does it matter, it tastes amazing, right?  But I'm happy to give my answer, which is Tuesday!

I think a lot of people assume that most of my work is baking.  The baking is actually a very small component of creating cakes.  Not to say that it's unimportant.  I think that the way cakes are made, from the quality of ingredients, to the mixing, baking, and storing, is quite possibly the most important aspect of the business, but it's just a small piece of the big puzzle.  Alongside my trusty assistant, I spend a big part of Tuesdays slapping around butter, cracking up eggs, covering my apron in flour and filling my house with the wondrous smell of freshly baked cake.  If I have a hair of doubt that my cakes were not prepared or baked perfectly, the Bakement is open just a little later that night and we're baking them again.


We wrap the cakes up well and store them in my freezer for a day or two.  This is the best way to store my cakes.  Believe me, I promise.  If you love my cake and this stresses you out and worries you, then give me a call and I can explain it all to you.  Or just eat my cake and enjoy!

I usually begin leveling, torting and filling my cakes on Wednesdays and Thursdays for cakes that are for Friday and Saturday events.  My cakes are high-ratio butter/sugar cakes.  This means they stay moist and delicious for many days and even improve in texture and taste over time.

So what am I doing on those other days?  When I'm not baking, I'm buying ingredients, corresponding with customers by phone, email or meetings, conducting tastings with potential customers, brainstorming, sketching and designing cakes, researching designs and learning about new skills and products (something I don't do enough and I wish I had more time to do), making buttercreams and fillings, cutting and covering cake boards, washing dishes and cleaning, filling, icing, decorating and assembling cakes, general accounting: keeping track of payments received and those due, calculating costs and creating invoices, and delivering.  Like any small business, there's a lot of wheels turning!

Q: What kind of ovens do you use?

My first mentor in the business who also worked out of her home told me that her simple GE electric ovens baked her cakes just as well as her fancy Viking convection ovens did.  So, I took her advice and I bought regular residential GE electric ovens.  I've learned that there's so much more to properly baking cakes than the type of oven you use!

Q: How long does it take to make a wedding cake?

The age old (and my least favorite) question that I get asked all the time.  My simple answer: a really long time.  It's hard to say since every cake is so different.  It's a process that takes several stages, over several days.  Just know that you're getting your money's worth!

Q: How many cakes have you made?

Since I started documenting my cake orders in Quickbooks in 2007, I have made approximately:
250 wedding cakes
1,300 special occasion cakes
6,300 cupcakes
and 900 dozen mini cupcakes
WOW!!!!  That doesn't even include the countless other wedding and small cakes I made while working for Sugar Buzz bakery and during the first 3 years of my business!

Q: How do you start a home-based baking business?

First you must decide on a business name and get a business license.  The rules vary from state to state, but in North Carolina, all bakeries are inspected by the Department of Agriculture (just one time!).  Food industries that sell meats and other products that have to be refrigerated are inspected by the Health Department.  There are certain guidelines and restrictions that you must follow (such as separating business ingredients from your home cooking ingredients), but it's easier than one might think.

Since I had a background working in commercial kitchens like Sugar Buzz and Blue Restaurant, it helped that I was familiar with professional equipment when outfitting The Bakement.  I bought stainless steel and maple top tables, a speedrack with sheetpans, a 20 quart Hobart mixer, a large tool chest for storing small supplies, lots of shelving for storage and a large sink for doing my favorite chore of all, washing "dishes."  I also have 2 regular residential refrigerators and a large freezer.  Some of the commercial equipment was purchased used, reducing the cost significantly.  I believe that the keys to a well designed commercial kitchen are easy access to supplies and ingredients, mobility, and "smooth lines" and ability to move equipment and appliances for easy cleaning.  I spend a lot of my time cleaning because this is a messy job, so it's best to make that is easy as possible!


When my husband and I were looking for a home, we were specifically looking for a house with a separate space for my business.  When we found this house in a wonderful neighborhood with an easily accessed basement, it was like hitting the jackpot.  Even though I sometimes feel like we're busting out of the seams and there are many days when I could use more space for working and storage, or wish I could have meetings in a place other than my family's living space, it has worked out quite well.

Having almost no overhead means I can do things on a smaller scale.  Fewer orders and fewer employees (fewer stresses!) allows me to have my hand in all aspects of the business and give my customers (and my cakes) the individualized attention they deserve.  It has also allowed for wonderful flexibility and the chance to spend more time with my kids, which I value greatly!

Izzy at 3 months:

Collier, just a few weeks old:

The Bakement on a busy Saturday:

Q: What's your favorite cake to make?

If you're talking flavor, then I really can't answer that.  I love to bake all kinds of cakes and it's really hard to say which is my favorite to eat because they really are so yummy!  But, if I had to choose, it's gotta be chocolate or carrot cake because those are the scraps that never seem to last as long in our house;)

As far as designs, I like a good challenge and get excited about trying out new styles and techniques.  I love making wedding cakes because they are elegant and feminine and there are infinite possibilities.  I especially enjoy creating custom designs, with inspiration from elements of a wedding such as the gown, lace, or invitations.  Shaped cakes can stress me out, but they are sometimes the most gratifying in the end.  And let's face it.  I'm a girly girl who loves to make frilly little girl cakes with bows and hearts and teapots and butterflies!

Q: If I want to make cakes for a living, should I go to culinary school?

After months of research and debates, I finally enrolled in the Baking and Pastry program at Johnson and Wales in Charleston.  I do believe that I could have gotten to the point where I am now without having spent several thousand dollars to go to culinary school (still paying that off!).  But it would have taken me a lot longer.

I learned a lot about baking in school and it was a really fun experience, introducing me to a cooking environment that was previously unfamiliar and intimidating to me.  It taught me about proper use of equipment, new products and skills, and also allowed me to live in beautiful Charleston where I made many new friends (and when I met my husband!).  It also solidified my desire to become a pastry chef.

A lot might depend on the type of person you are.  I needed a nurturing school environment to feel confident in the industry.  I am shy by nature and not very good at "getting myself out there" (aside from my blogging and instragram addiction!).  I believe I have innate skills (artistic ability and organizational skills) that would have helped me to excel quickly in the field regardless of my degree, but I needed the extra push and Johnson and Wales led me to opportunities I might not have otherwise found on my own.

Graduation day with fellow Baking and Pastry students - May 2004
My "co-op" was a job at Sugar Buzz Bakery with renowned pastry chef, Geoff Blount.  I continued to work with Geoff after the co-op and helped him to open a retail bakery in Denver, NC.  He was (and still is) a great mentor who gave me the opportunity to learn so much.  
Q:  How do you advertise?

I have actually never paid a dime for advertising since I have been able to stay very busy through word of mouth. And that's the old fashioned kind of word of mouth - your mom's friend's cousin had my cake at a wedding and loved it so much that she had to give you my name.  I get lots of referrals from wedding industry vendors and event coordinators at local venues, the people who have really seen it all!  I am so grateful for all of the referrals, since that's what really keeps me in business.

But things are changing, and now that the younger generation is looking to the internet first and foremost, I am working to improve my presence online and in social media in order to attract more brides.  That seems to be a job in itself, so it's been hard to find the time to get where I'd like to be.  My overall goal is to focus on what I love to do most - wedding cakes!

Q: Why doesn't your husband join forces with you and turn For Goodness Cakes into an empire?

Well, nobody's quite put it like that (haha!).  But several people have suggested that Brian and I team up and grow the company since he is still searching for "the right" career.

The main reason is that I have no interest in growing the company out of our home.  I really like the way it works, the personalized attention I can give to my customers and the flexibility of working out of my home.  Having helped open (and later close) a retail bakery, I know firsthand the amount of time a business owner must devote to keeping it running, and a lot of that time is not doing the main thing you love about the business (creating cakes).  Not to mention, continuing to raise a family with an unpredictable, variable income (without health insurance benefits!) sounds scary to me.  Hats off to small family-owned businesses!

More importantly I know that my husband does not have a passion for the cake business, and if you're in this business you really have to love it.  I also know that he does not need the same person who bosses him around at home to boss him around at work!  

Q: Don't you just love your job?

A couple months after I had my second baby, Collier, I ran into an old classmate and she was asking me if I was back to work.  Then she said, "don't you just love it?" and it was really hard in that moment to say through gritted teeth, fake smile, "oh yes, it's such fun."  I get that question a lot and I know that's what people want to hear.  

In that moment I was extremely sleep deprived, worn down by work and finances (no paid maternity leave in this business!) and really all I wanted to do was devote every minute to my children.  My job is a job and it's not always as "sweet" as it may seem.  I often feel overworked, underpaid (don't we all!?), and just plain stressed out (have I mentioned that yet?!).

BUT, that being said, it's the perfect career for me and I do appreciate all that it is.

I really do love my job.  I get the quiet, alone time that I crave, yet I also get to work with new people all the time, celebrating a happy occasion.  I get to be creative, and I get to move around and be on my feet. It's definitely never boring!  I can work when I want and enjoy being outside in the daytime or spending time with my children by working at night.  It requires tremendous self-discipline and time management, which is a life-long learning process!  It can be very challenging, but it also gives me a great sense of satisfaction and confidence.

For Goodness Cakes was a dream I had, that with hard work, actually came true.  I am a lucky girl.

Comments

Popular Posts