Catching my Breath
Wow. Another month has flown by. The month that I used to call my "off" month. February and August are usually the months that I can count on fewer cake orders and more relaxing time for me. Relax is not so much part of my vocabulary anymore (well, it never really was). And this February was a doozy! I am finally able to catch my breath. I hate that I have neglected one of my favorite, therapeutic hobbies (this blog). But lately, the things at the end of my to-do list have been down to essentials like eating and sleeping (after my priorities like taking care of kiddos, house chores and work!).
So, here's some of what I've been up to…
One of my very best friends always asks me to make her kid's cakes and will do whatever it takes to get it to Greensboro where they live. I was so excited that for the first time in a while, I could personally deliver the cake (on a Friday no less!) and take Isabelle to her son, Brant's, birthday party. Since it was the only cake order of the week, I went all out on the Jake and the Neverland Pirates themed cake, the ship called "Bucky."
Nothing is as gratifying as being there in person to see my cake be admired and devoured!
And the most special treat for me was spending some one-on-one time with my favorite 3 year old. Isabelle was in heaven at the Children's Museum in Greensboro (that place is amazing, by the way!) and then we stayed in a historic luxurious hotel (O Henry) thanks to some key connections ;). Isabelle felt like a little princess, even though she dressed like a pirate the entire stay.
Her fairy Godmother, "Glori," took Isabelle to have her very first mani-pedi...
...and it was my first "off-season" pedi. So here's the truth. I consider myself lucky when I treat myself to one a year. It's definitely a relaxing and enjoyable experience, but I really don't see the need to paint my toenails in January. (I barely see the need in July…I'm a simple - some might say boring -gal). I suggested that they just skip the nail painting and do the rest of the stuff, but they looked at me like I was an alien from another planet. I went along with what is apparently trendy in winter - deep, dark "purple" - and did a double take every morning when I looked down to see black toenails.
My daughter, on the other hand, would change her nail color about as much as she changes her outfits daily if it was up to her.
February approached and so did the whirlwind of cakes! A couple of my largest (and favorite) cakes were made as donations to 2 different events that happened to be within a couple days of each other so I was working my tail off (and not making a cent!) for a solid 2 weeks. But it was well worth it. For the first ever BOW (Best of Weddings) Event, I was asked, along with several other cake companies, to create a showpiece cake (in other words, faux), to show off my skills. This was an event to celebrate the Charlotte wedding industry professionals and a great way to showcase my business. I don't make very many "dummy" cakes, simply because I don't have the storage space for them. But this one would take center stage in my dining room where I have my tastings (don't all people have a wedding cake on display in their dining room!?) and I wanted it to be an excellent example of things I do best as well as the elements that my brides tend to love most.
I chose to make it 4 tiers of various heights, which I think is a more modern approach to cake design and one that can make a simple cake more interesting. I stuck with classic designs and tones- white on ivory, and swags, lace and drapery. Techniques that I am most known for are handpiped details and matching lace designs. I usually make all of my lace designs by hand (no stencils or molds) and this allows me to make every lace design completely unique. The swag/dot design on the bottom tier is very "old school" and just a classic pattern that brides love over and over again. The fondant drapery is just a fun way to show what fondant can be used for and I think it adds some elegance to the cake. I stuck a simple pleated design mini-tier in between the 2 top tiers for something a little extra. And of course I decided to showcase my love for making gum paste flowers. These were pink peonies, roses, sweet peas and stephanotis. Every petal cut out and applied by hand, and later painted with "petal dusts." It wasn't the biggest or brightest cake at the event, but I think it was a good example of what a real bride would choose for her elegant wedding.
I made lots of yummy mini cupcakes for guests to nibble on. And I hate to boast, but... I couldn't help but notice that my box got the most raffle tickets entered by brides for winning a gift certificate toward a wedding cake!
That following weekend, I had the honor of donating a cake to the Art With Heart event, held every year at Founders Hall, raising money for Safe Alliance. I, along with 4 other bakeries, donated a cake for the event. Believe it or not, mine was the only cake that was real! (Other bakeries made dummy cakes for the event and chose to supply cupcakes or other treats) Red velvet and strawberry were the flavors I chose. Ok, I get it. Fake cakes are much easier to decorate. I do sometimes specialize in making my cakes appear inedible (like a box of wine?), but my philosophy is that they always should be edible when at all possible. That's the point, afterall!
It was a fun and busy week of making cakes my way!
And that same day of Art With Heart, I hosted my first ever birthday party in the Bakement! I had the MOST fun baking and decorating cupcakes with these cuties. It definitely opened my mind up to a new world of possibilities and future business ventures! Phew, my mind has been whirling! (more on the birthday party later!)
Oh, and one of my winter wedding cakes (not to be left out) - adorned with white holly and berries.
And another with what's become my signature lattice design, alternating with rough texture.
I've eased into the transition of full-time working, stay-at-home mom with my two kiddos. I do recognize that I make life a little harder on myself by choosing not to hire much help or put the kids in more days at school. I guess you could say that I have the best and the worst of both worlds: working mom and stay at home mom. I don't get much "me" time, but that will come (maybe…if I ever let it!). My mom is the greatest "nanny" my kids could have, and even though I have to work around her routine morning Y schedule, bridge club, occasional book club meeting and abnormally early dinner dates with friends (sigh), it's worth it to me to be able to spend a solid amount of time with my kids, leave them in the best hands possible when I can't be with them, and to then work odd hours, late nights and weekends. And, hey, I don't know too many daycare centers that pick up your kids and keep them for dinner or even for the occasional overnight stay (for free!!!!!)!
I will forever be indebted to her, and although I know "Cici" loves every minute of it, I'm just not sure how I could do the work that I do and be a happy and fulfilled mama without her help!
Regardless of all the help I get from Cici, there are still some "survival" tactics that I must rely on to get some things done. Let's face it - the dishes and laundry don't wash themselves. I've had to use these tactics a lot recently with all the craziness going on with work (and weather!). One of my favorites (and maybe most frowned upon by some) is the pacis in crib tactic. My babies have one sure thing in common: they are obsessed with the pacis. I know, I know, one of my babies is technically no longer a baby and really shouldn't be sucking on a paci at all since she's going to be 4 in a few short months. But this is survival, people. I have a rule that, starting at 6 months, pacis are only to be used in bed. So nothing makes both of my kids happier at the same time (for a long period of time, I might add!) than paci playtime in the crib together. Isabelle climbs on in the crib, 3 pacis in hand, sometimes some books and dolls. Usually all I hear is laughter and the clicking of pacifiers. They are content. They are enclosed. It's a true miracle and we're all happy campers.
One of my other survival tactics is making healthy food that both kids enjoy, in bulk. The freezer is my friend. One of our favorites is a recipe I created for delicious and wholesome oatmeal pancakes. My son can eat an adult portion of oatmeal every morning. I only do old fashioned oats (tastes better, less processed), but it takes long to cook over the stove every morning and then I have to spoon feed it to him. My daughter loves pancakes. So, I found a way to make oatmeal that's really tasty, ready in seconds, and easily made into finger food. It's not just oats added to pancakes. It's real oatmeal pancakes and I will be sharing a recipe soon! My entire family loves them, so I'll make a big batch every few weeks and store them in the freezer to have on hand whenever we need them!
Other foods I love to make are veggie bars and "cakes." I've learned that you can turn most veggies and a lot of leftovers into really tasty, healthy meals that my kids will actually eat. Usually it just involves a food processor (not always though), and adding an egg or two, and a thickener like flour, bread crumbs, pasta, or even goldfish crackers. They are easy for kids to eat and even easier to me to store frozen and pop out on a whim. More on those recipes later!
So, about that big old snowstorm that blew through Charlotte. Heh, heh.
I'm one of those people that prays for snow every year. Not just a pretty dusting of flakes, but a big dump. The kind that shuts the city down, the kind that actually requires waterproof boots and ownership of a sled (not a garbage pail top). I even spent a few years in Wyoming, partly because of the snow.
But this year, the epic snowstorm will definitely be memorable for reasons other than snow. It came right smack dab in the middle of my Valentine cupcake box production (250+ boxes of cupcakes), leaving me in a tizzy, my husband about to lose his mind, and kids going bonkers. Only 1 of the 4 employees I had lined up to come help me was able to make it for a short stint (and I regret not holding her hostage), none of my childcare was able to help, and of course my husband was stuck at home trying to work during it all. I guess my only saving grace was that my kids both hate the snow (little crawlers don't get around so well in white powder and princess dresses don't work so well, even if your favorite princess is best known for making snow) and at least weren't begging us to take them sledding. (Any other year I would have been begging them to join me sledding.)
All I can say is we survived (barely) and with the help of some neighborhood high school girls, I filled all cupcakes boxes (determined to get every one of them out the door!). I'm exhausted just thinking about it.
PJs, a tent, and plenty of Disney Jr. came into play during the snowstorm. Fun times!
Recently I had the incredible pleasure of sitting in during "observation week" at Isabelle's ballet class at Jamie Master's and it was a hoot to watch. She is SO happy showing off her dance moves and she just loves being "on stage" even if she's not really on stage.
There is really not much cuter than a bunch of 3 and 4 year old girls doing ballet and tap.
I have a feeling this little performer will be dancing for years to come.
Finally, the last cakes of last month kept me particularly busy. A groom's cake in the shape of a yellow lab, holding a high heel (symbolizing the groom's love for his dog and the bride's love for her designer shoes). I swear these shaped cakes cause enough anxiety to cut off years of my life!
A wedding cake with all white gumpaste flowers and little birds hiding among them.
Another cake with little white birds as well as fresh ferns. First time doing texture on square tiers. Kinda love!
Always beautiful and classic - simple icing with lots of fresh flowers placed in between tiers.
Lace and swiss dots. Another classic and popular design!
March is a bit of a breather for me. But, even without too many cake orders on the books, I have lots of ideas up my sleeve and things to keep me busy, so let's just see where I go from here!















Comments
Post a Comment