Here and Now

So I've finally accepted the fact that I'm not going to be a professional blogger anytime soon!  

Another month of my life has gone by faster than the one before it, and that seems to be how life rolls these days.  I always strive to live in the moment, and although I do love to snap pictures, take videos and Instagram, I know that sometimes those actions take me away from the moment.  So, I've made an (unconscious) effort to take fewer pictures (honestly, the real reason is because my kids are moving too fast or I forget to charge my camera battery!).  I've been trying to find a few hours to get some memories recorded on this blog, so that I won't forget this precious days with my young kids, but the days and weeks just go by and a blog post doesn't get written.

Alas, today is a new day and finally a new post with some family updates!

A few things that has made life busier and days flee by faster, and they happened pretty much simultaneously: 
1. Collier started walking. 
2. Isabelle stopped napping.  

Amazing how those two new life altering stages happened at the same time!  However, I have to say that Collier walking was a wonderful new stage for everyone.  He had been crawling for over 6 months so he was ready for a new way to get around.  He was wearing me out, constantly begging to be held and he was highly frustrated.  The timing was pretty perfect because the weather finally started to turn nice and we were able to start playing outside more.  He gets around a little more quickly, but he is SO much happier, so it really is a good thing!

Using the paci as bait to take some steps!
14.5 months.  So proud!
The big news that came right after Collier's new mode of transportation was also new mode for Isabelle - no more paci!!!

Poor girl had been sweating the Paci Fairy for quite some time, ever since we mentioned her several months ago to prepare her for this next stage of life.  My plan was to hold out until she stopped napping, because I knew that no more pacis would mean no more naps.   We rode the coinciding 2 hour naptime in our house for a few fabulous months and I savored every minute of it!  But, Isabelle was starting to stay up too late and every now and then she'd skip a nap…on top of that, my guilt for allowing my 3 year old to continue sucking on a paci in bed started to weigh on me.  

It was time for the PACI FAIRY!

We picked a quiet weekend to have the Fairy send Isabelle a special package that she could open only after she mailed off all of her pacis to the Paci Fairy who would then give them to all the babies who need them.  

Isabelle was obviously thrilled at the prospect of a package to open and when I explained to her that the Paci Fairy only chooses BIG girls who are mature enough to sleep without a paci, she felt very honored and excited to get rid of her pacis!  Without hesitation and with lots of smiles!  It was amazing.

The package proved to be worth ridding herself of all pacis…a beautiful, sparkly sequined mermaid dress!  This was one happy BIG girl.

That is, until bedtime came!

She struggled to sleep for a few days, but after day 3 it was like the paci never existed.  She didn't even mind that her little brother has lots of pacis and not once has she tried to steal a suck from one of his.  Amazing!

The rest of our days have been filled with fun playdates, and a few miserably sick days for Collier…

Izzy with her other princess buddies, Loulie and Maddie.

Cheering on the Heels in the basketball tournament.  Unfortunately a magic wand wave didn't even help them win.

Sweet Collier had a rough week recently when he got an ear infection (hidden underneath way too much ear wax) that caused him to have severe nausea and vomiting for 6 days straight!  It took us 4 days after the vomiting started to finally get the diagnosis and by that time he was terribly weak and sick because I was afraid to feed him anything since he could not keep anything down.  After several doctor's visits, being pinned down by nurses for ear scrapings and shots, lots of sleepless nights and phone calls with nurses, and too much laundry, he finally started feeling better after being put on Zofran, the medication commonly used by those with severe morning sickness or going through chemo.  For a week straight this sweet baby of mine was stuck to me, his head like lead on my chest.  I loved the snuggles, but he was pitiful.

But, throughout it all I couldn't help but be mindful of all of the really sick babies and kids whose parents live this life every day.  It was a 24-7 job caring for him and of course the older sibling did not appreciate the lack of attention.  It was very hard to see Mommy cuddling with her brother for many days in a row and it reminded me how equally difficult it is for the siblings of very sick children.


Which brings me to another reason to live in this moment as fully as possible.

There is a little girl that I met on one of my very first walks after giving birth to Isabelle.  Two new moms out walking on a hot July day, peering into each other's strollers to see that we each had precious little newborn girls.  One with a full head of dark hair (named Libby) and the other (my Isabelle) with a bald head.  There is an instant connection when you meet another brand new mom, and after several other run-ins we learned that we have many mutual friends.  A year ago I was heartbroken to learn that Libby was diagnosed with Leukemia, and today this once spunky, vibrant little girl is fighting for her life.

Her father, Josh, recently wrote on Caringbridge about how life is all about perspective. The way you live your life has a lot to do with how you look at life and how you appreciate all that you have.  At any moment, your life can change drastically, just as it did for the Jones family one year ago.  Of course I get hung up on little things-- we all do.  I stress out about work, money, and things like what meal I'm going to cook tonight and the whining/crying spells that my daughter endures daily.  But, when you alter your perspective, you can focus on what's really important.  Within all of the things that cause me stress are things that I should rejoice about!  I have a job to be stressed about!  Hallelujah!  I have the children that I spent my lifetime hoping for!  They might be whining but they are HEALTHY.  Hallelujah!  I can cook meals for my family and we will never go hungry!  (Afterall, we do live in a bakery!)  Rejoice!

Go here to learn more about Libby, her fight, and what you can do to help this brave family!


Easter was last weekend and after a long rainy Saturday, it was so wonderful to spend Easter Sunday with lots of family outside in the warm sunshine!

The Easter bunny showed up with some goodies and my kids started the day with lots of smiles.

 Isabelle prefers to get "dressed up" immediately after getting up almost every morning, hence the mermaid costume.

 And on to more changes…she had to try on the new bathing suit that Mr. Easter bunny put in her basket! Never too many wardrobe changes!
 Our boy is in a serious truck-loving stage right now!  Obsessed!

Happy Easter!
 Collier is such happy boy, especially when riding anything he can climb onto and being outdoors.  He is my nature boy for sure!

 Wanna race?

What a treat to have cousins drive down from Virginia for a short 24 hour visit! 
 Sutton and her beautiful mom and grandmother.  
 Just before the egg hunt began.  Big kids were kind enough to take a back seat and let the little ones enjoy the hunt at their own pace!






 I can't stop staring at this beautiful boy and when I find a moment to snap lots of pics of him, I do it!  I don't ever want to forget the cuteness of a 16 month old toddling around.  
I could just eat him up!

 He immediately found mud puddles;)
 Good looking twins, Patrick and Helena
 Our attempt at a family photo…happy faces is all we need!  Success!
 Generation X
 The young cousins, ages 16 months to 10 years old.  This was a truly amazing accomplishment -- all smiles!  
Rejoicing in this moment!  
Here and now.

Comments

Popular Posts