Life's a Zoo
Well, I didn't get in the May post that I hoped I would…what can I say, but life is a zoo. It's busy, it's often loud and at times I feel like a lion tamer trying to keep my "animals" happy and things in order.
The zoo is also really fun.
We actually went there a few weeks ago, our first visit as a family of 4. It was as fun as it gets, watching little eyes stare in wonder and even learning some stuff on the way. Seeing exotic animals in person, a stone's throw away (and sometimes much closer!) can never get old, even when you're over thirty.
Okay, I know my face is freaky. But this is how excited I get when my kids have this awesome look of wonder. It's so much fun seeing through your children's eyes and experiencing life's firsts with them!!
We were looking at some very loud and active monkeys.
hmmmm
Flamingos are always cool to look at even though they stink.
I have to say that penguins were in my top 2 faves of the day. Love how you get to watch them swim in an underwater aquarium at the Columbia Zoo!
I think all four of us could have sat with the gorillas all day. Endless fun. And they really do sit right next to you since there's a glass wall separating zoo-goers from zoo animals.
At one point we were just chillin' with the 'rillas sittin up against the wall, looking at the tiny creases in their enormous feet. Or are those hands?
Feeding the giraffes was a highlight for Isabelle, who is not afraid to pet or feed any animal. I love this!
What an awesome day it was.
Spring weather calls for lots of lunches at the picnic table. I can't believe Collier is turning into a little boy. They both seem so grown up eating their lunch at a table, it's killing me! Ok, truth be told: Collier lasted about 30 seconds in this position.
Isabelle had a great first season at Soccer Shots.
She was especially good at the goalkeeper's technique of picking up the ball with her hands.
Baby steps...
A wonderful visit with brand new baby Whitten!
The Richardson-Barksdale gang, minus one newborn baby brother.
We celebrated all the amazing moms in our lives on Mother's Day. I am so blessed to be surrounded by such incredible women who are important role models for me as I navigate through motherhood. Mother's Day is always a day when I just have to pinch myself a million times. No, this is not a dream. I am living it…the only role I ever wanted to have and I have it. Being a mom.
Over the past few weeks I worked on a list of top reasons why I love being a mom:
- When my child runs to me with open arms after being reunited, even after a brief time away. Collier does this every time I pick him up from Cici's house or after a workout at the gym - he can't stumble across the room fast enough to get to me and it's the best moment ever! The smile on Isabelle's face when I pick her up from school always melts my heart. It. Never. Gets. Old.
- Hearing my child say "mommy"….best name I could ever ask for.
- Knowing that my simple hug or touch can sooth my child in pain, sadness, or in a moment of frustration.
- Being the chosen one. The one they want to soothe them, the one to read to them, the one they feel safest and most comfortable with.
- Realizing that my kids love me and look up to me in the same way that I feel about my mom.
- I love how my kids make me a morning person. They are my adrenaline, my energizer, even if I only got 6 hours of sleep. They make me want to get up and speak in a cheerful voice before 9 am. I love seeing their happy faces in the morning. My kids almost always wake up on the right side of the bed and it's better than any cup of coffee you could find.
- The snuggles. I love how each child nestles into me in their own way. Isabelle rests her head on the top of my shoulder and sticks both arms down in between our tummies in a way that says, "I'm all yours, just hold me." Collier wraps his legs around by body and lays his head heavy against my collarbone. He is as snuggly as they get. Oh, I am so lucky!
- The laughter. Listening to my kids play together and make each other laugh is the highlight of each day. They laugh at each other a lot and I attribute most of that to an awfully sweet big sis who puts up with her little brother's pushing, face pinching, drink and toy stealing, and other such antics. She laughs at his every move, even if it's ruining her Barbie set-up.
There are a million other reasons why this job is the best in the world, but it's also the most time-consuming job in the world and I just haven't got all day. :)
Isabelle and her cousin/bestie Betsy Grace enjoying a Mother's Day lunch.
A couple weeks ago we ventured off to Baltimore for a weekend getaway with my family and had a ball celebrating my cousin Will's wedding. It's always special spending time with my family and I have to say a rare treat being able to have total adult time with each of them. A nice hotel stay and sleeping in doesn't hurt either!
Spending time with Matt and Laurie is always a blast. We can talk about our kids the whole time and they actually genuinely enjoy hearing about it! They are the most amazing aunt and uncle to my kids…which is why I'm so thrilled that we'll soon be the aunt and uncle to their kid!!! Yes, that's right, my brother's gonna have a baby! I am beside myself with excitement. I recently decided that this child will be the closest thing to a grandchild that I'll have for a long time. (Having watched my parents become grandparents, I've come to realize that grandparenthood is the greatest part of life -hands down). I can love on the baby, hold the baby, entertain the baby, feed the baby and then leave the baby…with the parents. The best!
Late November can't come soon enough!!!
Congrats to the gorgeous couple, Will and McCall! It was a perfect wedding weekend and such a pleasure to celebrate the union of such kind, wonderful people. Could they be any cuter?!
A few of my latest wedding cakes are below….and a few others:
Most popular piped design with a lilac bow at the bottom for fun.
This bride came up with this fun, modern design on her own!
Tree stump graduation cake. All edible!
I think I know which cake got more attention here. This Margherita Pizza cake has red buttercream sauce, fondant mozzarella and gumpaste basil leaves!
I can't believe the school year is now over. I had the pleasure of celebrating summer birthdays with these soon-to-be 4 year olds in Isabelle's class. This age group is so much fun to watch at school and I just wish I could be a fly on the wall every day!
Izzy and her boys...
I couldn't resist surprising the kids with these personalized faces on cupcakes. I loved watching each of them try to pick out their cupcake! Some of them avoided eating their face, while others (including my child) dug right in and chomped on some hair, no problem.
This was one of those days when I feel like I have the 2 best jobs in the world. Quite often they go together beautifully.









Comments
Post a Comment