Centennial Celebration Cake
This year Charlotte Country Club celebrates its 100 year anniversary, so when I was asked to make a cake to commemorate the occasion I was incredibly honored and absolutely thrilled. CCC has been a part of my entire life, from swim team and tennis camp to golf lessons just a few years ago...I grew up having had many a meal at the club, I made my "debut" there (ha!), and it's where I spent the happiest night of my life almost 4 years ago when I danced around with a smile from ear to ear with my new husband at our wedding reception. Making this cake was not just a huge honor for me, but also very meaningful.
The cake was to be the centerpiece at the annual Ball, with almost 1,000 members attending. When I was asked just 2 weeks ago to make this cake, I must admit that I was a little worried I wouldn't have enough time to plan for such a grand (and enormous!) creation. But, I knew what an incredible opportunity this was!
It was requested that the cake be elegant and understated, but not look like a wedding cake. At first, this seemed like quite a challenge, given that every elegant and understated design I came up with looked a wedding cake. And there was a kicker...they didn't want the cake to be cake...which meant I was to make a tower of delicious STYROFOAM. I've done this before for showpieces, but I do not prefer to make faux cakes. Afterall, that's not what my business is about. I'd like to be known for making beautiful and tasty creations. But since I love the wonderful staff at Charlotte Country Club, I decided to help them out, regardless. In the end it definitely saved me lots of time and energy...and now this cake can last forever!

I covered each tier in rolled fondant.
All of the tiers covered in fondant and stacked.
It was requested that the cake be elegant and understated, but not look like a wedding cake. At first, this seemed like quite a challenge, given that every elegant and understated design I came up with looked a wedding cake. And there was a kicker...they didn't want the cake to be cake...which meant I was to make a tower of delicious STYROFOAM. I've done this before for showpieces, but I do not prefer to make faux cakes. Afterall, that's not what my business is about. I'd like to be known for making beautiful and tasty creations. But since I love the wonderful staff at Charlotte Country Club, I decided to help them out, regardless. In the end it definitely saved me lots of time and energy...and now this cake can last forever!
Comments
Post a Comment