I Rest My Case
I couldn't help but share the email my dad sent me in response to my last post. This is why I am such a lucky daughter:
Haines --
After closing the door to my office (so no one here could see me cry), I reread your Father's Day blog, and was just as touched and just as grateful for your beautiful words and pictures as when I first read the blog on Sunday.
You are a very special person, and certainly a very special daughter. I DO know how close we are, notwithstanding all the kidding around, and notwithstanding my occasional jealousy when I see how close you and Mom are (which I really think is terrific for you, for her, AND for me). And I especially know how much we are alike, and I am proud of it. The greatest blessing of my life is my family, but another great blessing is that my children are role models for me -- I learn at least as much by watching you and Matthew, and admiring so much about you both, as you could learn from me. I could not be more proud of you both, not just for your accomplishments, but mostly for the wonderful character that each of you has.
I especially admire what you have done with your business -- truly making use of your God-given talents in a unique way. I admire the way you deal with your customers, your referral sources, your competitor, and your employee -- all in a way that is firmly grounded in your strong moral character and a sense of right and wrong. And, of course, I admire your artistry, your craftmanship, your impulse to "do it right," and your ambition to be the best at what you do.
I hope that some of your wonderful qualities were inherited from me, so that I can bask in the reflected glory of who you are and what you have done. But, more than that, I hope that your wonderful qualities are inherited by little Isabelle.
And, in fact, on occasion I do see some flashes of "intensity" on Isabelle's part that remind me of my first little girl.
Love and thanks,
Dad
Haines --
After closing the door to my office (so no one here could see me cry), I reread your Father's Day blog, and was just as touched and just as grateful for your beautiful words and pictures as when I first read the blog on Sunday.
You are a very special person, and certainly a very special daughter. I DO know how close we are, notwithstanding all the kidding around, and notwithstanding my occasional jealousy when I see how close you and Mom are (which I really think is terrific for you, for her, AND for me). And I especially know how much we are alike, and I am proud of it. The greatest blessing of my life is my family, but another great blessing is that my children are role models for me -- I learn at least as much by watching you and Matthew, and admiring so much about you both, as you could learn from me. I could not be more proud of you both, not just for your accomplishments, but mostly for the wonderful character that each of you has.
I especially admire what you have done with your business -- truly making use of your God-given talents in a unique way. I admire the way you deal with your customers, your referral sources, your competitor, and your employee -- all in a way that is firmly grounded in your strong moral character and a sense of right and wrong. And, of course, I admire your artistry, your craftmanship, your impulse to "do it right," and your ambition to be the best at what you do.
I hope that some of your wonderful qualities were inherited from me, so that I can bask in the reflected glory of who you are and what you have done. But, more than that, I hope that your wonderful qualities are inherited by little Isabelle.
And, in fact, on occasion I do see some flashes of "intensity" on Isabelle's part that remind me of my first little girl.
Love and thanks,
Dad
Comments
Post a Comment