Last Days of Summer

I guess Summer is over. We're back home, but I still want to relish in those final days of our summer vacation....


Although it seems like we spend most days sitting on the porch or swimming in the lake, we did make lots of fun excursions this year. It's always fun to go to "the other side" (that is, of the lake) to see things from a different perspective. A few beers at one of the few (or maybe the only?) lakefront bars is a great way to end a great day...Bri, me, Matt, and Laurie at Two Goats BreweryBack on the porch, Isabelle enjoying the "dog days" of summer. Crockett is her jungle gym and puts up with everything.Some more ice cream at the ice cream shop just up the hill. Having a first-timer guest (Laurie) meant exploring the area's wineries, something we don't take advantage of enough. Me and my bro on Lake Keuka, the smaller lake next door.Bully Hill Winery where Phil kept us all entertained.Wow, I haven't had cleavage like this since Isabelle was born!Special friends came to visit...my mom's college roommate (who ended up marrying a family friend of my mom and settling down in her small hometown of Elmira!) with her daugher and granddaughter (2). Most summers growing up they would come visit and Laura would be my playmate for a day, so it's really cool to imagine that Isabelle will have a buddy to play with at the lake too. Feeding the ducks...Isabelle was OBSESSED.Brian stayed the full 2.5 weeks, but he did work. Luckily an office with a Seneca Lake view ain't all bad!Just an evening on the porch. Notice in the background Isabelle eating her dinner in the corner, all alone...Well, not really all alone!Now for one of my alltime favorite excursions....Mackenzie Childs! I was first exposed to MC's whimsical and colorful ceramics at my childhood best friend's home where we ate cereal out of these artisan bowls. Ever since then I have been intrigued (and in love) with the designs of Mackenzie-Childs. They create the most beautiful and artful ceramics, furniture and home decor, and the "home base" just happens to be in the tiny town of Aurora, NY, a short trip away from Glenora.


Isabelle LOVES looking through the Mackenzie-Childs catalog...we might be in trouble since I can only afford their $20 ceramic drawer knobs.The Mackenzie-Childs Farm is on a gorgeous piece of property overlooking Cayuga Lake...we weren't able to tour the Victorian Farmhouse since Izzie was in tow, but we spent time walking through the massive store and visiting the farm animals.This is possibly the coolest dollhouse ever created (aside from the one my grandmother handcrafted for me, of course). Completely decorated with mini Mackenzie-Childs pieces. Incredible! The pictures I took do not even begin to show what this place is like. The "courtly check" is their signature accent...it's everywhere and I love it. This chandelier is made from spoons!I have never seen anything quite like this fireplace.The craziest, most unbelievable lamp ever. It's impossible to see the details, but every square inch of this piece has a unique, charming element. Priced at $19,500. I can just picture it in our entranceway!Back at Glenora we tried to take some family pics. Not so easy.Some of the many faces of silly Izzie...Yup, that's a diaper on her head. Our last day at the dock was not really a lake day, but Isabelle is so happy just dropping stones.Granddaddy and Cici were so spoiled and loved every minute with their grandbaby!The journey home was pretty smooth. I've learned a few things - the squeezable fruit snacks can be dangerous... we all appreciate the ipad and the paci,and Cracker Barrell might be the greatest place ever!This is what greeted us when we got home. Thanks for welcoming us back, Charlotte. It's good to be home.

Comments

Popular Posts