Family is Key!

Last weekend was my first weekend back to wedding cakes, after about 3 months off. It was great getting back to what I love most, but man was it hectic! My hubbie was out of town, so I relied on all of my other family members to help me out, and it reminded me that I probaby wouldn't be able to run my business without them!

I had the pleasure of making 175 flies and hooks for a flyfishing themed rehearsal dinner (Heath Norman and Missy Sheaf's wedding!):
Isabelle went on her first cake delivery when I took a poker themed groom's cake to Sonoma Restaurant uptown. Gotta love uptown cake deliveries on Friday afternoons! Thank goodness the wonderful staff at Sonoma comes out to pick up my cakes from the car when I pull over on Trade Street!Then on Saturday, we headed uptown again to deliver this cake to First Presbyterian Church. My dad babysat while my mom and I made the delivery. Meanwhile my mother-in-law was busy with the catering for the wedding! It's a family affair!
And finally, our last delivery to The Westin. I have actually stayed at this hotel for an entire weekend, and I think I might have spent more hours there last weekend. It was chaos at the front entrance, and when a bellman came to help us transport the cake to the ballroom I became completely flustered. He reached over and lifted this 4 tiered cake out of my trunk with his own 2 hands, quickly placed it on the luggage cart and whisked it away....yikes!!! In the meantime I decided to shut and lock ALL of the car doors. When we finally got the cake to it's destination I looked in my bag and had a funny feeling that my keys were not in there. Low and behold, they were in the car (doors locked!) with the engine running and the AC on full blast!!! Argh.
My car running for hours:
This is the cake:Times like these call for family to the rescue! BUT, my husband was out of town at a friend's wedding, my dad was held hostage at home with Isabelle since his car doesn't have a carseat, Elise (my mother-in-law) was working a wedding, my brother was at Octoberfest, and my brother and sister-in-laws were babysitting 2 toddlers along with Betsy Grace. So, big Brian at my service! He hurried over to my house to get a spare set of keys and when those didn't work (battery to the remote key was dead) he hurried my mom to her house to get another spare key.
Hurray for my amazing family! And hurray for the fact that I have about 2 extra sets of car keys (this kind of situation has happened before...remember the trip down to the Cox-McCutcheon Wedding!).
There is just no way to ever thank my family for all that they do for me. And there is no way to ever have enough spare keys!
Me and Izzie making gumpaste flowers in the bakement:
Daddy wishing he had a little boy?

Comments

Popular Posts